Well, it takes a lot of science and engineering. Here are just a few of the ways we do it:
- Silicone sealant and precision gaskets to secure the two main module halves
- Rubber microphone boot to seal microphone openings
- Microphone protectors with incorporated Gore® material to seal microphone ports (from the maker of Gore Tex®)
- Integrated O-ring into the Titanium bayonet plug to provide a seal between the battery compartment and processing unit
- Ultrasonically welded bayonet connector plug
- Patented nano-coating from P2i on the Nucleus 6 sound processor
And these are without the new Cochlear™ Aqua+! So add the Cochlear Aqua+, and water is your patients’ playground.
Cochlear Nucleus Aqua+ is IP68 Rated to be submerged up to 3 meters (10 feet) for up to 2 hours when used as indicated. For use with the Cochlear™ Nucleus® 5 or Nucleus® 6 Sound Processors with the included Aqua+ Coil and rechargeable battery.